Capsule Wardrobe Ideas
Shop My Capsule Outfits
Explore Capsule Closet Essentials
Missing some items on your capsule checklist? Worry not. Learn where to shop for versatile clothing staples and explore a helpful capsule checklist below.
Your Capsule Questions, Answered.
How do you start a capsule wardrobe from scratch?
If only there were an easy capsule wardrobe formula to use. Oh wait, we made one for you:
1. Uncover Your Personal Style Patterns
2. Pick a Closet Color Palette
3. Define Your Wardrobe Functions
4. Declutter Your Closet
5. Pick Layering Pieces
6. Shop for Missing Wardrobe Essentials
7. Prioritize Quality Clothing
What are the rules of a capsule wardrobe?
Unless you want the capsule fashion police at your door, listen up! Just kidding, capsule “rules” are flexible. Your wardrobe is personal, after all. But a little guidance can’t hurt! The basic rules around capsule wardrobes are:
1. Less is more. Work with items you already own when starting your capsule closet. Keep your closet small and make intentional garment purchases (bye, bye online impulse buys). Each piece in a capsule works hard so you can create more outfits with less clothing,
2. Pick versatile pieces. Yes, you can include statement items. But the bulk of your capsule should be clothing that is interchangeable for easy outfit creation, like these chic closet essentials. This drastically reduces the ” I told the group chat I’m on the way, but I’m actually staring at my closet hating all my clothes” instances (don’t pretend you’ve never done it).
3. Plan your closet. Because a capsule requires having less, planning out the pieces is essential. Clothing that both suits your lifestyle and flatters your body type is ideal.
4. Cling to a color palette. Like your life depends on it. Okay, not really. But sticking to a capsule color palette ensures your items complement each other. Plus, it forces you to evaluate your clothing purchases against this metric.
For more capsule rules, or -ahem- gentle suggestions, check out this guide to choosing the right amount of capsule wardrobe pieces.
How many clothes should be in a capsule wardrobe?
The amount of pieces in your capsule depends on your lifestyle. For reference, minimalist capsule wardrobes typically contain 10-20 pieces, while more robust capsules often fall in the 30-50 item range. To find your ideal capsule clothing amount, aim to have enough clothing for outfits in each area of your life (work, social, special occasion, etc.).
Unfancy popularized the 37-piece capsule wardrobe, but this is just one of many approaches. Bottom line: There’s no perfect amount of clothing in a capsule. So stop searching for that golden number and start simplifying your closet!
Is a capsule wardobe worth it?
Yes! A capsule wardrobe offers structure and reduces decision fatigue, simplifying the process of getting dressed. For those with cluttered closets and the dreaded “nothing to wear” problem, creating a capsule can be truly transformative. If you want to be more mindful about clothing purchases, are short on time to get dressed in the mornings, or find yourself not wearing many of the clothes in your closet, you, my fashion-forward friend, are the perfect candidate for a capsule closet.